Aero Deep Dive in The Specialized Win Tunnel – Ask a Cycling a Coach 188
Gain 50 watts in a single day!? We went to the Specialized Win Tunnel to find out how to get faster. Episode 188 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast is live!
More show notes and discussion in the TrainerRoad Forum.
Topics covered in this episode
- What’s so special about the Specialized Win-Tunnel?
- Are aerodynamics important?
- Pros vs Joes with equipment and performance
- How does going into the drops effect aerodynamics?
- Does bar length matter?
- How to shift your head to gain watts
- Why do some riders create a better drafts than others?
- Does sitting up with a tail wind help?
- Does optimizing aerodynamics make a difference on the draft?
- When do you not want to wear an aero road helmet?
- How to choose a bike based on your strengths
- Glasses and Beards – do they cause more drag?
- Head position on a road bike
- Does lateral movement decrease aerodynamics?
- Why are shaved legs faster?
- Why is the UCI beginning to crack down on sock length?
- Skin suit vs. skin tight race kit
- The evolution of wheel design
- Why aren’t mountain bikes aero?
- Does Nate’s “Franken Bike” make sense for gravel racing?
- Do downhill and enduro athletes benefit from aerodynamics?
- What effects do number plates have on aerodynamics?
- Aero bars vs. round bars
- Are hydration packs beneficial?
- Does Jonathan actually have a world class CdA?
- Do the UCI rules cause frustration for product engineers?
Links Mentioned in this episode
- Specialized Win Tunnel Youtube Channel: bit.ly/2PlWqy2
- Specialized Venge: bit.ly/2ruU4n3
- Specialized Tarmac: bit.ly/2jXFYXg
- Specialized Evade helmet: bit.ly/2EdPqlJ
- Specialized Prevail helmet: bit.ly/2E0khkK
- Win Tunnel: To Beard or Not to Beard: bit.ly/1n4eACy
- Specialized Evade skin suit: bit.ly/2ATl1VH
- Specialized 321 Disk wheel: bit.ly/2ARLzGJ
- Specialized Epic: bit.ly/2QcKcx1
- Specialized Ambush helmet: bit.ly/2QDIpjL
- Specialized Aerofly Carbon Handlebar: bit.ly/2UhR62h
- Specialized Shiv: bit.ly/2QfjFPD
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.